Recipe for Zucchini Noodles with Spicy Arrabbiata Sauce
4 large firm zucchini, peeled
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
Sea salt and black pepper
Ingredients for Arrabbiata Sauce:
2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped and seeds removed
½ cup tomato paste
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
½ tbsp. crushed red-pepper flakes
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
Sea salt and black pepper
Fresh basil, cut into thin slices
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1. To prepare the arrabbiata sauce, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and heat until fragrant. Reduce heat to medium-low.
Add tomato paste, tomatoes, oregano, and garlic powder. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
2. Simmer until sauce is slightly reduced, stirring occasionally, for approximately 20 minutes.
3. While the sauce is cooking, slice the zucchini into thin, long noodles with a spiral slicer. If using the Paderno Tri-Blade Vegetable Spiral Slicer, use the small “shredder” blade to create spaghetti-like strands.
Cut the noodles with kitchen scissors once they reach approximately 10 inches in length.
4. Place cut noodles on paper towels or clean kitchen towels to absorb excess moisture and set aside.
5. Heat olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until the garlic turns golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Remove garlic from the pan with a slotted spoon or fork and discard.
6. Add zucchini noodles to skillet and sauté for approximately 2 minutes. While cooking, use tongs to flip the noodles to ensure they are warmed on each side. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and set aside.
7. Remove from heat and toss with warm arrabbiata sauce. Transfer to a serving dish and top with sliced basil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese before serving.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Traditional arrabbiata sauce is made from garlic, tomatoes, and dried red chili peppers cooked in olive oil. This spicy Italian red sauce is traditionally served with rigatoni or penne noodles, but it can be paired with zucchini noodles quite nicely.
You can even prepare mozzarella chicken breasts and replace the balsamic glaze with this spicy red sauce.
Replace your traditional pasta with fresh zucchini noodles… you can indulge often without any guilt.
Enjoy this tasty Zucchini Noodles with Arrabbiata Sauce!
This website may contain affiliate links and we may receive compensation for purchases made through these links. This in no way affects your purchase price. More importantly, we strive to recommend products & services that will benefit you regardless of any benefit to us.