Recipe for Roasted Yellow Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
Ingredients for Roasted Yellow Tomato Soup:
2 lbs. ripe yellow tomatoes
1 large bunch fresh basil, washed and patted dry
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into quarters
2 stalks celery, washed and cut into chunks
2 large (or 3 small) cloves fresh garlic, peeled
3 tbsp. heavy whipping cream, room temperature or slightly warmed
½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. ground cumin
Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Ingredients for Grilled Cheese Croutons:
2 slices sourdough bread, crust removed
3 oz. Brie cheese, crust removed, cut into thin slices
1 tbsp. melted butter
Directions for Roasted Yellow Tomato Soup:
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Slice yellow tomatoes into ½” slices and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Leave room between slices to prevent over-crowding. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
3. Place baking sheet in the oven and roast approximately 2 hours or until the tomatoes are browned around the edges.
4. Once tomatoes are done roasting, remove from oven and cool slightly. Put the roasted tomato slices into a high-powered blender/food processor.
5. Add the stock, basil, onion, celery, garlic, cumin, warmed heavy cream (to prevent curdling), salt and pepper.
6. Blend on high until smooth and thoroughly combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. If desired, add additional chicken or vegetable stock, 1 tablespoon at a time, and blend again to achieve desired consistency.
7. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with the grilled cheese croutons and a sprig of fresh basil.
Directions for Grilled Cheese Croutons:
1. Remove crust from 2 slices of sourdough bread. Cut each slice into 4 equal-sized rectangles and brush one side with melted butter.
2. Place buttered side down on a heated grill pan until browned grill marks appear. Remove from heat and flip each piece of sourdough over so the grill marks are facing up and top with a slice of Brie.
3. Place grill pan under a broiler just before you’re ready to serve the soup. Heat for approximately 2 minutes or until the Brie is soft and starting to melt.
Tip: If you leave the pan under the broiler too long the Brie will run off the bread base.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2+ hours
Enjoy this Roasted Yellow Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons any time of the year!
This website may contain affiliate links and we may receive compensation for purchases made through these links. This in no way affects your purchase price. More importantly, we strive to recommend products & services that will benefit you regardless of any benefit to us.