Recipe for Quick & Simple Greek Salad
Ingredients for Greek Salad:
2 large heads Romaine lettuce, washed, patted dry, and chopped into bite-sized pieces
4-8 oz. Feta cheese (chunk or block), cut into small, uniformly sized pieces
1 8-oz. can black olives, drained and roughly chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes, washed and cut in half lengthwise
¼ medium red onion, finely chopped
1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced, then cut into quarters
Note: A traditional Greek salad does not include lettuce. Also, for a more authentic Greek salad use pitted Kalamata olives.
Ingredients for Greek Dressing:
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tbsp. fresh basil, finely chopped
1 clove fresh garlic, peeled and finely minced
2 tsp. red onion, finely minced
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper
Note: You can make a double batch of the dressing to set on the table for those who want to add a bit more to their salad.
2 tsp. dried oregano
1. In a small glass bowl, combine vinegar, oregano, basil, garlic, and minced red onion. Slowly whisk in olive oil until the mixture is emulsified. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Set the salad dressing aside.
2. Add Romaine lettuce to a large serving bowl. Then spread the cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, red onion, and feta cheese over the lettuce.
3. Sprinkle additional dried oregano over the salad, if desired. Place the salad bowl on the table and serve with the Greek dressing on the side.
4. Alternatively, place Romaine lettuce on individual salad plates, top with all ingredients, then add the Greek dressing and serve.
For a more traditional Greek salad…
1. Use a large plate or platter. Starting in the center, add the feta cheese to form a row. On each side of the feta, add a row of chopped black olives. Then add a row of sliced grape tomatoes next to the black olives.
2. Carefully arrange the red onions in a thin row on either side of the feta cheese. You want to add the chopped onions last to prevent them from getting lost between the larger toppings. Finish by placing the sliced cucumbers at each end.
3. Sprinkle the top with additional dried oregano, if desired. Place the salad bowl on the table and serve with the Greek dressing on the side.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: n/a
This beautiful salad tastes as good as it looks! Of course, you can mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and place on the dinner table. However, for an attractive presentation, you can arrange the ingredients on a platter as described when making this Greek salad for a party or for a family gathering.
Enjoy this quick and simple Greek Salad!
This website may contain affiliate links and we may receive compensation for purchases made through these links. This in no way affects your purchase price. More importantly, we strive to recommend products & services that will benefit you regardless of any benefit to us.