Recipe for Chilled Potato and Leek Soup
1 ¼ lbs. Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 medium white onion, outer layer removed and sliced
3 large leeks, washed and sliced
3 green onions, sliced, white and green parts separated
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
3 tbsp. butter, unsalted
Salt and pepper
Optional: 3 slices crispy bacon, crumbled
1. Add olive oil to heavy stock pot. Sauté onions over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add leeks and white part of green onions to pot and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
2. Add 1 ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for approximately 6-7 minutes before adding diced potatoes and remaining stock.
Replace cover and cook until potatoes are very soft, approximately 20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, uncover and stir in butter and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Cover and place in the refrigerator for several hours. Once chilled, adjust seasonings as desired.
6. Serve chilled or at room temperature. Garnish with the reserved sliced green onion tops and crumbled bacon, if desired.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Hot or cold, you can enjoy this potato and leek soup any time of the year. Whether it’s a warm summer day or a cool autumn night, when you want a hearty soup, this favorite will rise to the occasion.
Enjoy this hearty and healthy Chilled Potato and Leek Soup!
This website may contain affiliate links and we may receive compensation for purchases made through these links. This in no way affects your purchase price. More importantly, we strive to recommend products & services that will benefit you regardless of any benefit to us.