Once you taste this delicious dessert you won’t believe it is gluten free and does not include refined sugar. Now this baked cinnamon apple crisp recipe is a winner in my book! In addition, the fresh thyme adds a subtle savory note to the sweet flavor of this classic recipe.
For this cinnamon apple crisp you want to choose firm apples such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady. These varieties will hold up well under the heat and are less likely to turn into mush.
Let’s get started.
Baked Cinnamon Apple Crisp Recipe
6 large apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup real maple syrup
2 tbsp. 100% apple juice (sugar free)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground allspice
1½ tsp. fresh thyme leaves
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup almonds, sliced
1/3 cup honey, preferably local
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
To Serve Baked Cinnamon Apple Crisp:
A scoop of vanilla bean ice cream or freshly whipped cream will go nicely with this dessert. Of course, it’s optional.
1. Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8” x 8” baking dish and set aside.
2. Place apples in a large non-reactive (glass, ceramic, stainless steel) bowl and toss with fresh lemon juice. Add maple syrup, apple juice, cinnamon, allspice, thyme leaves, and salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
3. Combine topping ingredients in a separate bowl and stir until oats are thoroughly coated and all ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
4. Pour apple mixture into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Spread the topping evenly across the top in a uniform layer, as well.
5. Place into pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. If the top layer is nicely browned, cover dish loosely with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.
Continue baking for another 15-20 minutes or until the cinnamon apple crisp is nice and bubbling. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
6. Serve warm with some vanilla bean ice cream or freshly whipped cream, if desired.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45-50 minutes